Senior Manager Life Underwriting
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones.
We leverage deep technology and data science to streamline the life insurance process, making it more accessible and convenient. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes! We’ve issued billions in coverage each month and eliminated the traditional barriers, ushering the industry into the modern age. Our full-stack technology platform is the backbone of family financial health.
We make getting life insurance easier, faster and better for everyone.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the role:
Do you want to make the world a better place for underwriters? Are you a natural leader who loves to mentor and guide? This role seeks a dynamic, hands-on individual who has the energy and vision to guide a developing team to high levels of success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- 50% of this role will be dedicated to case underwriting
- Ability to lead the team with passion, positivity and continual improvement
- Work closely with Chief Underwriter, Head of Underwriting Development and Director of Underwriting Operations to recruit, hire, mentor, and develop underwriting staff both domestically and internationally
- Assess quality and headcount
- Perform hiring analysis to flex with our growth
- Create and improve onboarding and underwriting training programs
- Develop performance management and quality control system to provide feedback, guidance and reviews to underwriting team members
- Assist underwriting staff to develop their technical and decision making skills, while ensuring adherence to our core values.
- Drive strategic efforts to optimize underwriting workflows, including work to implement rules within an underwriting engine, recommending solutions and best practices as appropriate
- As needed, work with Underwriting Strategies to perform quality assurance testing of automated rules and processes
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10+ years in Life new business underwriting
- 5+ years of experience in an underwriting leadership or development role
- Extensive knowledge of life insurance trends and new technology
- Sharp focus on execution and an owner mentality with a track record of delivering success in a timely manner
- Data oriented decision making skills and great intuition
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
To learn more about what information we collect and how it may be used, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.